Africa 2017

Africa 2017

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Arrival in Scotland!




     For the first time in crossing the pond, I believe I slept.  I've attempted it but have never had the luck to achieve this highly desirable, simple act, of traveling.  Our flight began from San Francisco with just under a two hour layover in Chicago then a continuing flight to Edinburgh with an arrival time of 7:35 am. After trying melatonin in a variety of ways (didn't help either of us sleep), valerian root (didn't quite do the trick), OTC sleep aid / generic version of Simply Sleep (which I believe would have worked but Tim choose the cheap brand) the week prior to our departure, I settled with two glasses of red wine before and during dinner, followed by Calms Forte (two tablets), then thought of every relaxing thought I could.  

     What did I think of?  This silly ditty and I struggled to remember the lyrics till I talked myself out of mulling it over and over.....


My momma told me
If I was goody
That she would buy me
A rubber dolly

My auntie told her
I'd kissed a soldier
Now she won't buy me
the rubber dolly

3, 6, 9
The goose drank wine
The monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line
The line broke, the monkey got choked
And they all went to heaven in a little rowboat



     Odd if do say.  Had to share it just the same.  Anyone else remember that?

     We sat next to a Scotsman.  He drank so much Ginger Ale I thought he would burst, never getting up once the entire flight.  He was nicknamed the Ginger Ale Boy by the stewardess.  

     Edinburgh Airport is small, clean, chipper and easy.  The customs agent was chatty and welcoming which feels mighty sweet after a long flight.  We grabbed a coffee just outside the exit from Customs at Costa and what a perk up that was for our slowly adjusting brain.  Next was to wait for dear daughter Megan arriving from Pitlochry after her 10 day trip prior to our arrival.  

    Waiting is entertaining.  The lone gentleman in the currency exchange booth, which looked out onto the coffee shop Costa, was doing full body stretching.  I believe he was lonely for some company as he proceeded to maneuver arms, wrists and neck and gazed out at the morning crowd sipping their handheld bowls of coffee and tea with steam wistfully rising in the slanted morning sunlight.  

    And then we meet up with Megan, and hug, and share news of her journey.  Next to get our rental car.  My dear hubby decided to buy a TomTom (we nicknamed TimTim) instead of getting a car with GPS built in.  Hhhmmmm..... will this really be okay?  Memories of France and my navigating with iPad and iPhone in my lap using a downloaded map flash in my brain.  Can't we just get the built in?  After a delay of perhaps a half hour we pull out of the parking space and attempt the drive on the wrong side of the road with a stick shift.  And why oh why does the curb on the left seem particularly close to our wheels as I gently flag Tim to drive nearer the center.  Learning curve for day 1 of driving.  Thank God I am not behind the wheel.

    The TimTim is working though the volume is too low.  Miracle of miracles we make it to Rosslyn Chapel.  A wee gem of spectacular stone carvings that is filled with details that fill the eyes with every turn of the head.  

     I'm grateful it isn't crowded on this lovely September day.  No need to hurry or wait for people to out of ones way and to see what we wish to see.  The Chapel is small and intimate and one can walk right smack up to the glorious work the stone masons so long ago most lovingly created their art.  

    The spry docent gave an active historical account of the chapel with her toes twirling her down the main aisle and spinning around back to the front of the pews where we sat.  I almost expected her to begin a jig of sorts as she was quite engaging in speech and body language.  

     Alas no photos are allowed inside.  





     





No comments:

Post a Comment